Thursday, September 15, 2016

Green Lanterns Disappointment (and corrections)

So a few days ago, I went on a mini-rant about DC comics, and my reasons why I would/would not buy certain issues based on the editorial staff, and how morally reprehensible they may or may not be.


*cough* Eddie Berganza *cough*


Well, it turns out I’m a big fat idiot because I didn’t do any research into the Rebirth lines. It would seem there has been some editorial restructuring I was not aware of.


Alas, last night as I was happily reading my issue of Green Lanterns, a book which I have been enjoying, I noticed something. Now the Green Lanterns book is interesting because none of the traditional Green Lanterns of Earth (Sector 2814) namely Hal Jordan, Guy Gardener, and John Stewart, are in it. It features two newish characters, Simon Baz, a Muslim from Detroit, and Jessica Cruz, a Latina. I like that this book features diverse characters, and I’ve been enjoying their dynamic so far.

No, not THAT Jon Stewart.



Then came last night. I was thinking about the piece I wrote about Supergirl vs Batgirl (not to be confused with Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice which is a whole other rant for another day) and I decided to check the credits page to see if any women work on the title. To my surprise and horror, not only do zero women work on Green Lanterns, it is also evidently under the editorial supervision of none other than one Eddie Berganza.


Boy did I feel stupid and betrayed.

Pictured: Eddie Berganza



I just days ago wrote a self-righteous screed about buying one title over another based on moral misgivings and using the power of your wallet to send a message. Well the message I evidently have been sending was “we don’t look at the credits anyways, so do whatever and we’ll buy it.”


So I don’t know. I guess don’t listen to me, both of the people who read this blog. Because I, evidently, don’t know what the hell I’m talking about. The good news is, it would seem that the Wonder Woman Rebirth comic is no longer under the same line editor as Superman books, so go out and get that one, like yesterday. Or don't. What the hell do I know?

Seriously though, go get it.


Apologies for going off half-cocked without doing my research. I’ll be cancelling my pull of Green Lanterns (and Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps) albeit with a heavy heart because once again I like the characters, but I cannot support a Berganza book. I just can’t. I’ll replace it with Wonder Woman and Batgirl, and that will be just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment