Thursday, November 13, 2014

Review: Captain Marvel #9

Once in awhile a comic, or show, or movie comes along that gives me opinions; Sometimes really strong opinions. Good or bad, sometimes, just sometimes, these opinions are strong enough to write about. This is one of those times. 
Ziggy... er Carol played guitar...

I wanted to like this. I really, really did.
This series as a whole started really strong, and I loved the first arc. The last two issues with Rocket Raccoon have been OK, but despite some good humor and character work, there didn't seem to be any real stakes. I was looking forward to the next arc and a new set of problems for Carol to Punch her way out of. Instead, I get this one-off that is, while fun, yet another throwaway moment with no real stakes or suspense at all.
Taken on its own, the issue is light and fun. I'm not familiar with Lila Cheney, but she seems like an interesting character. The bulk of the dialogue is in rhyme, which you'd think would get old, but it works pretty well, although it did take me out of the story a bit. In a way, I'm glad it was a one-off because if I had to read another issue all in rhyme, I don't know how I'd feel about it.
The art, as always is great. I love David Lopez's style, and his use of facial expressions is fantastic. Nothing against Takara, but it is good to have Lopez back in the artist's chair.
I love Captain Marvel, and DeConnick and Lopez, but this issue was kind of disappointing. I'm really hoping the next arc that was teased on the very last page will be worth the wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment